Continuing Disability Review Based Upon A Step 3 Approval

Asked 4 months ago - Austin, TX

If a claimant is approved for Social Security Disability Benefits based upon meeting a step 3 listing, can any subsequent CDR's revoke future benefits because of a "supposed" change in a RFC evaluation (whether the claimant's RFC has actually improved or not)? When a claimant meets a step 3 listing during the application process, the disability evaluation should be concluded regardless to any findings at step 4 or step 5. If the qualifying and disabling impairment is a chronic disease with no cure and with no possible medical improvement, can/will the SSA "try" to find a way around this by claiming the RFC is now (suspiciously) capable of "some" work? I have read too many federal appeals where the SSA tries to deny previous approvals based upon similar circumstances (as if in retaliation).

I believe the SSA has fumbled with my claim for 4.5 years simply because they do not want to approve my claim at step 3 since I am a younger individual. The SSA has obviously disregarded direct evidence that proves I met listing level criteria by simply (and suspiciously) evaluating my claim based upon a ridiculous clerical error involving my AOD. For example, out of 10 references to my AOD, the SSA has continued to evaluate my claim using the ONE and ONLY incorrect reference to my AOD (a difference of 8 years), and after 4 years of complaining to anyone and everyone about this issue, I believe my claim is finally coming to a close with a step 3 approval. I find it very suspicious my claim may be approved after 4.5 years based upon the same evidence as I had on day one. If my claim is approved based upon meeting a step 3 listing, should I ever need to worry about CDR’s trying to revoke my benefits simply because the SSA believes I can work “other” jobs?

1. Robert Alfred Donati

2

1

Answered . Does the SSA ever make a determination in a CDR that a claimant no longer meets a Listing, absolutely. This can indeed occur with even chronic conditions. (I cannot count the number of cessations I have seen for claimants who are suddenly no longer have mental retardation). I don't think that the DDS employees thinks of this in terms of "retaliation," though I do agree that younger individuals will likely face greater scrutiny. Rather, they usually just have a much more rigid view of what it takes to meet a listing. They have a tendency to look down on the reasoning of the ALJ's and look for reasons to second guess these Judges favorable determinations.

2. D K Kevin Dugan

1

1

Answered . Yes, SSA can review the matter and find that you do not meet a listing. Whether they will is just speculation at this point.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.
  3. Stephanie O Joy

1

1

Answered . I agree with both of my colleagues, above. They can reverse on CDR. It is generally not accepted that a condition will forever be without a cure - ergo the CDR - because medical advances and cures are always possible.