Skip to main content

Contingency attorney Los angeles

Irvine, CA |

I'm looking for a contingency attorney for a tenant/ owner dispute. I receive section8 and received an unlawful detainer by owner. I have not violated any laws. The house was sold after a foreclosure.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you've been sued as a defendant/tenant in an unlawful detainer lawsuit, it is unlikely that you will be able to find an attorney to represent you on a contingency fee basis. Such fee arrangements are used for plaintiffs seeking to recover money. You, on the other hand, are trying to defend a lawsuit, so you won't have anything to recover.

    You only have five days to respond to this summons, so act quickly. I suggest that you contact a legal aid or other non-profit organization. You can find them online at:

    The Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009 (PTFA), part of the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009 (Public Law 111-22, approved May 20, 2009), requires that tenants residing in foreclosed residential properties be provided notice to vacate at least 90 days in advance of the date by which the immediate successor, generally, the purchaser, seeks to have the tenants vacate the property. Except where the purchaser will occupy the property as the purchaser's primary residence, the terms of any bona fide lease also remain in effect.

    For more information regarding tenant rights following a foreclosure in California, see my legal guides at:

    The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

  2. Contingency means the attorney recovers a percentage of any judgment obtained and collected. It is virtually impossible for you to obtain a money judgment as a defendant in an unlawful detainer, therefore no contingency attorney can be recommended. My colleague's reply, however, gives very good advice about the law and sources of legal representation.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  3. You can't represent a defendant in an unlawful detainer case on a contingency, because the only thing you can "win" is the right to stay and pay your rent. Unless you want your attorney to be your roommate, you need to find the funds to pay for qualified counsel or find free legal services in your area (not easy).

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics