Contested litigation regarding timesharing and reduction in child support.

Tampa, FL |

I am currently in a contested litigation re: timesharing and reduction in child support and very little discovery has been done and only a temporary timesharing agreement has been established which I don’t agree with has been reached. My final hearing is on Jan 7th at 1:30 PM in Hillsborough county scheduled for two hours. I was advised by my now former attorney to advise new counsel that this needs to be continued so that you can conduct proper discover to achieve 50/50 equal and rotating ( week on, and week off) timesharing of children.

It's almost impossible to modify timeshare to 50/50, though it's pretty easy to establish it initially as 50/50. But that aside, what's your question?

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

Only a temporary order is in place and final hearing is in a few weeks. Would it be possible to get it continued?

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose

I can't tell whether you'll get your continuance based on what you've written, but you should file your motion first thing to tomorrow and go online to set it for hearing on the UMC.

I am unclear as to what your question is. I would agree with former counsel, however, that a continuance is probably necessary for your new counsel to adequately prepare for your heaing on the timesharing issue. Best of luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

You have to file a motion for continuance, don't just show up at the hearing and assume one will be granted. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659

If your "final hearing" is really set for January 7th, it is unlikely the court will grant a continuance at this late date. Your "now former attorney" would have had to withdraw from representation before today, so I'm not sure how this all happened, but its probably too late to get a continuance, even though I agree you need one. Tough situation but not sure you have a good solution.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody