Contested divorce. can a judge force me to get an attorney. I'm single mother of 2 and cannot afford an attorney

Asked 5 months ago - Brentwood, NY

The opposing party has an attorney I am a single mother of 2 and can no longer afford an attorney
It is either pay my rent and provide a home for me and my children or pay an attorney and my children come first.

1. Steven P. Kuhn

3

Answered . Perhaps, if you financially qualify the judge will appoint an attorney to help you with issues affecting custody. But, no the judge cannot force you to hire an attorney. As you know your divorce will affect your financially for many years, so the investment will be worth it if you have a good attorney.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

2

Answered . Force you? No. But you should. Remember - if he has the money, he has to pay.

3. Arthur Wemegah

2

Answered . No, you cannot be forced to retain an attorney in a divorce case or any type of case for that matter.

4. Howard E. Knispel

Pro

2

Answered . The judge can not force you but can pressure you. But is advisable to get one.