Skip to main content

Contempt of court remanded to Municipal Court????????

Mount Holly, NJ |

My friend had to go to Municipal Court, plead guilty of harassment and was fined. The judge ordered him to cease all contact from the "victim". The "victim" contacted him via text message about 2 days later and asked how court was (she didn't go to court, her parents did) and he explained what happened... how they couldn't talk anymore. That contact was enough to get him arrested for contempt of court. He had a hearing, then it got remanded from the Superior Court to the Municipal Court. I read that the fourth degree crime changes into a disorderly offense if dealt with in Municipal Court.
-Would this just be a subsequent charge of harassment now?
-Would he lose his job if he works for the state?
-What are the chances of him getting more than 6 months jail time?
-The likely sentence?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. This is the third time you posted the same question. Call one of the responders and ask away. The downgrade could be many things. If harassment he has a defense. He could lose his State job if convicted of a DP or possibly a PDP. It is unlikely he would do time but more information is needed. He needs an attorney.

  2. The entire record here needs to be reviewed in order to give you a reliable answer.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  3. This has been posted before. Your friend needs a lawyer to defend the new contempt charge. They can apply for the public defender if necessary.

  4. If your friend obtains a good attorney, he will likely be treated very fairly.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics