Contempt hearing for child support

Asked over 2 years ago - Cleveland, OH

I fell behind on child support when I lost my job and that resulted in the Cuyahoga County Child Support Agency filing a contempt motion and now I have a hearing in February. I have since found a new job and am paying on schedule. Is is possible that they will drop charges and cancel the hearing?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Todd Bruce Kotler

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It is possible, if you are also paying substantially, against the arrears. You did not state how long you went without paying (and thus the amount of arrears), however and that will certainly impact your outcome. If it was more than a year, the prosecutor is not likely to drop the matter.

    Good Luck and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

    This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be... more
  2. Paul Michael Kocsis

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . For support arrearages, the typical action is to have you make payment towards the arrearages within a determined amount of time. If you make the payment, then the charges are dismissed, if you don't you go to jail. Payments now towards the arrearages may not be counted, depending on the prosecutor.

    Since jail is a potential outcome, you have a right to request a court appointed attorney if you qualify for such.

    This answer is being provided as general advice only and is not to be relied upon for specific circumstances. By... more
  3. Christopher Joseph Tamms

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Get a lawyer, court appointed or otherwise. There are forms you can fill out with the CSEA when you lose your job. In the future take advantage of them. Yes that means reading what is sent to you from the CSEA. However if you are making payments as scheduled, and have been for a whole, I have found the agency to be quite reasonable. You need counsel though.

    This answer is provided for general purposes only. If you need legal assistance you should consult with an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,456 answers this week

3,219 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,456 answers this week

3,219 attorneys answering