Contempt hearing for child support

Cleveland, OH |

I fell behind on child support when I lost my job and that resulted in the Cuyahoga County Child Support Agency filing a contempt motion and now I have a hearing in February. I have since found a new job and am paying on schedule. Is is possible that they will drop charges and cancel the hearing?

It is possible, if you are also paying substantially, against the arrears. You did not state how long you went without paying (and thus the amount of arrears), however and that will certainly impact your outcome. If it was more than a year, the prosecutor is not likely to drop the matter.

Good Luck and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065 Thank you

2. For support arrearages, the typical action is to have you make payment towards the arrearages within a determined amount of time. If you make the payment, then the charges are dismissed, if you don't you go to jail. Payments now towards the arrearages may not be counted, depending on the prosecutor.

Since jail is a potential outcome, you have a right to request a court appointed attorney if you qualify for such.

This answer is being provided as general advice only and is not to be relied upon for specific circumstances. By answering the question, no attorney-client relationship is created. As for any matter, it is best to seek consultation in person with an attorney who practices in the area of law in which you are inquiring.

3. Get a lawyer, court appointed or otherwise. There are forms you can fill out with the CSEA when you lose your job. In the future take advantage of them. Yes that means reading what is sent to you from the CSEA. However if you are making payments as scheduled, and have been for a whole, I have found the agency to be quite reasonable. You need counsel though.

This answer is provided for general purposes only. If you need legal assistance you should consult with an attorney. Responding to questions DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship.