Contacted by someone that i have a no contact with

Asked 9 months ago - Salisbury, MD

I was contacted by and exgirlfriend who is a witness/victim in a pending case against me, so there is a court ordered no contact until the trial is over. Do I ignore her, ask her not to contact me, or do I respond?

1. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

Answered . You SHOULD NOT RESPOND IN ANY WAY. But you should print out her email or text message or obtain telephone records to prove she has been trying to contact you. You can then use this proof at trial or at a court hearing to argue that she is not afraid of you because she wants to communicate with you, and you can also argue that this means that the Protective Order or Peace Order should not be granted, and should be dismissed. Fight the PO, and do not allow it to stand. A PO can cause you serious difficulties later on if you want to apply for employment and it can cause you problems in other areas of life. I recommend you consult with an attorney for the guidance you obviously need.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . If you respond in any way, even to tell her to leave you alone--you could find yourself in violation and arrested. Speak with your attorney IMMEDIATELY about the contact.