Consultation Request Denied

Asked over 1 year ago - Cypress, CA

I keep contacting lawyers offices to obtain the "free" legal consultation that their websites are advertising and I keep getting the runaround. There many reasons; their caseloads are full, small firm that can't handle any more cases, some want me to document my case in detail and send it over the internet (no confidentiality there!). Others refuse to set up a consultation with the lawyer I chose; instead they set up a consultation and refuse to tell me who I will be meeting with. I have also offered to pay for consultations with no success. How should I handle this; or, how would you handle this if you were in my shoes? This keeps me from obtaining legal counsel in a timely manner and I can’t interview a lawyer. Many do not accept walk-in potential clients.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . You posted about this situation the other day and received some sound counsel then. Instead of simply re-posting these details, it might serve you to provide here a brief summary of the issue that you are looking for counsel about. Attorneys here may have some good ideas to assist you in finding counsel, once there is a basic understanding of the nature of your potential claim.

The free consultation, if offered at all, is always intended by the offering law office to serve the attorney as well as the potential client by providing the lawyer with an opportunity to early on, with a minimal investment of time and effort, identify those cases that the lawyer is interested in.

But of course, the potential client may be looking in the wrong places. So, what kind of claim have you got?

2. David Vincent Hiden

Pro

Answered . Not sure what the problem is or why it is continuing but initial consultations are always free with us, beyond a half hour. You can call me on my cell 619.920.4112, work 619.296.5884 or email me at "dhiden@hrollp.com" - call anytime and I'd be more than happy to listen to your matter and provide input. Tx. Dave Hiden

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

1

Answered . Maybe you dont have a valid case. Free consultations are offered usually, but certainly not always, with injury cases. Attorneys generally only use the contingent fee in injury cases. If your case has questionable liability or damages, or does not present a clear issue for a court, most attorneys aren't interested. Walk-ins are a bad option: succesful attorneys have busy schedules planned out in advance.

Go to a law library and research your issue. The publisher NOLO has a series of books on a variety of topics such as personal injury, bankruptcy and more topics, written for non-lawyers.

Here's more on contingent fee agreements: [Blue-Link-Below]