Consultation Request Denied

Cypress, CA |

I keep contacting lawyers offices to obtain the "free" legal consultation that their websites are advertising and I keep getting the runaround. There many reasons; their caseloads are full, small firm that can't handle any more cases, some want me to document my case in detail and send it over the internet (no confidentiality there!). Others refuse to set up a consultation with the lawyer I chose; instead they set up a consultation and refuse to tell me who I will be meeting with. I have also offered to pay for consultations with no success. How should I handle this; or, how would you handle this if you were in my shoes? This keeps me from obtaining legal counsel in a timely manner and I can’t interview a lawyer. Many do not accept walk-in potential clients.

Maybe you dont have a valid case. Free consultations are offered usually, but certainly not always, with injury cases. Attorneys generally only use the contingent fee in injury cases. If your case has questionable liability or damages, or does not present a clear issue for a court, most attorneys aren't interested. Walk-ins are a bad option: succesful attorneys have busy schedules planned out in advance.

Go to a law library and research your issue. The publisher NOLO has a series of books on a variety of topics such as personal injury, bankruptcy and more topics, written for non-lawyers.

Here's more on contingent fee agreements: [Blue-Link-Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

You posted about this situation the other day and received some sound counsel then. Instead of simply re-posting these details, it might serve you to provide here a brief summary of the issue that you are looking for counsel about. Attorneys here may have some good ideas to assist you in finding counsel, once there is a basic understanding of the nature of your potential claim.

The free consultation, if offered at all, is always intended by the offering law office to serve the attorney as well as the potential client by providing the lawyer with an opportunity to early on, with a minimal investment of time and effort, identify those cases that the lawyer is interested in.

But of course, the potential client may be looking in the wrong places. So, what kind of claim have you got?

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Not sure what the problem is or why it is continuing but initial consultations are always free with us, beyond a half hour. You can call me on my cell 619.920.4112, work 619.296.5884 or email me at "" - call anytime and I'd be more than happy to listen to your matter and provide input. Tx. Dave Hiden

Legal disclaimer: Please be advised that the advice provided does not create any attorney/client relationship; that due to the various state laws that the information provided is a general overview of the law, which might not be applicable to you, based upon the laws of your state. We will not file anything on your behalf nor protect any statute of limitations which might arise and recommend that you IMMEDIATELY consult legal counsel for adviceThis response does not constitute or make an attorney-client relationship as it is made for general purposes; answering attorney does not possess enough information to inform recipient of the applicable statute of limitations. You may also contact Mr. Hiden at (619) 296-5884 or by email at ""