Consultancy asking for repayment of H1B visa cost. If not paid they are threatening to file a case and blacklist me.

Princeton, NJ |

A US based consultancy has filed my H1b transfer last year. Due to some reasons I am unable to join them, so asked them to withdraw the application but they waited till it got approved. Now they are asking me to join them otherwise I will have to pay them H1b VISA cost as per their signed agreement.. If I do not make the payment they will file case against me in US or India court.
They have somehow managed to get my official email id and have sent me emails saying that they know everything about me and will cause trouble legally for me.

I am about to travel to US next week, can someone suggest me how to deal with this?

Your question appears to be a combination of both immigration law and employment law. Immigration law requires the U.S. employer to pay some of the H-1b filing fees. You may wish to have your contract reviewed by a U.S. employment law attorney to fully understand your options. The contract may specify the state law that controls disputes relating to the contract. You should consult with an employment attorney in that state. Good Luck.

The comments made on this site by Brenman Law Firm, PLLC of Chapel Hill, North Carolina are not legal advice. This information is provided as a public service and is intended as general guidance only. We require an initial consultation and a signed retainer agreement before we represent our clients.

Recommended articles about Immigration