Skip to main content

Constitutional? Forced church amplified sound system?

Los Angeles, CA |

Forced church amplified sound system into my home. US Constitution says the government should not establish a religion. Well LAPD and the city attorney have established a religion in my home by allowing an "exemption" in the law for church noise.

Federal lawsuit for forced religion? For establishment of religion?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Nope, that is not the right concept to argue. Your argument centers on nuisance.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

  2. No, this isn;t the theory that is going to potentially be useful to you. Nothing about your noise complaint requires you to believe or practice any religion.

    What you have is a noise complaint. You will need to solve that through the local authorities -- police and City Councilperson can work with you to narrow the exemption, or by recourse to a nuisance lawsuit that tests the grant of the exemption. For a sound nuisance suit you will need skilled counsel.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

  3. In essence you are complaining because the government has done nothing to prevent the church from amplifying the noise that reaches your home. They have done nothing to sponsor this noise. They have done nothing to violate the establishment clause of the First Amendment. You haven't said what the noise is. I suspect it is amplified instrumental music, probably familiar hymns. You would have better success filing to enjoin it as a nuisance, if in fact it is a nuisance.

Constitutional law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics