Skip to main content

Conspiracy to burglary and conspiracy to commit a felony?

Mansfield Center, CT |

My friend texted me the other night saying if I gave him a ride he'll give me a free iMac, who he got from a friend who was building them, I did pick him up with my girlfriend in her car and brought him home and he gave me the iMac, which is worth $2000. I found out the next day that they were stolen property, my other friend texted me, who was told by the detective to give it back but my friend who gave me it was begging me not to & he didn't know it wasn't stolen. so I gave the iMac back to him & I saw him dump it in a river. The cops showed up this morning & I gave my statement, & myself & my girlfriend might be charged with conspiracy to burglary & conspiracy to commit a felony. Also when I picked him up was when he stole all three from a university & I transported them UNKNOWINGLY. I have no record please help me if I have a fighting chance.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need to contact an attorney. Say nothing more to cops.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

  2. Don't panic, if you have no prior record you may be eligible for a diversionary program that would ultimately result in the dismissal of the charges. Contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in the area of the court in which your case is pending. There are many excellent attorneys listed on AVVO and most offer free consultations.

  3. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP, and so does your girlfriend; I advise that you not speak to anyone without an attorney representing your interest. You also may have another problem; that is, if this occurred in the Mansfield Center area of CT, then your case will be seated in Rockville Superior court. I handle many cases in Rockville, and that court tends to have a heavy hand, not always agreeing to any diversionary programs.

    I would be happy to meet with you, and if need be, to have an equally capable defense attorney meet with your girlfriend .... should she be arrested.

    Good Luck


    Attorney Salvatore Bonanno
    Law Offices of Salvatore Bonanno
    67 Russ Street
    Hartford, CT 06106
    (860) 527-6500 Office
    (860) 246-6786 Fax

    Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should carefully consider advice from an attorney hired and who has all facts necessary to properly advise a client, which is why these answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I concur with the lawyer who cautioned about the Rockland Court. They are often difficult and may even be considered unfair. State's attorneys (prosecutors) take an oath to do justice. Your lawyer took an oath to represent you alone. When they do "justice" as their oath demands they are often reasonable and you can work with them. You are innocent if you had no knowledge until after the fact. That may not be enough. Your RIGHT is to have a trial. You want to pre-empt this for the cost, hassle, and risk (Jail) involved. You have already made statements that can and will be used against you. At this stage full cooperation so charges are not brought may be your best option. If charges come anyway you shold be eligible for Accelerated Rehabilitation, a diversionary probation program that will leave you a clean record if you successfully complete the program. You only get to use this once in your lifetime, so loosing it when you have not been a participnt in a crime is unfortunate. Speak to an attorney familiar with the personalities of the police investigator and prosecutor in your area to make an informed decision. Trusting the authorities to make the right decision with your life (even thought they swore to do so) is not an easy choice.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics