Considering Obama Administration stop deportation for same-sex binational couple, should I send my marriage license to DHS?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

My visa will expire in three weeks. I am marrying my same-sex partner this week after 1 year and 3 months of relationship (Witnesses, Pictures, Financial Accounts together, etc.), My authorization to stay will expire in April. I will be overstaying. Considering the Obama Administration letter to stop deportation for same-sex binational couples, should I still need to inform DHS that I am married with a same-sex partner or should I just wait until it is necessary to proof it?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Are you asking us to express personal or professional opinion? My professional opinion cannot be expressed because there is no recognition of the same sex marriage under the immigration law of now. Will there be any or not remains to be seen and I have no knowledge of clairvoyant abilities to predict that. My personal opinion is irrelevant here and I will refrain from taking any more of your time.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Since there is no recognition of the marriage (at least by federal law) I do not see the point. Perhaps if there is a change in law (cases are being argued before Supreme Court as we speak) you may.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Until DOMA is overturned, DHS will do nothing with a marriage license.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,582 answers this week

3,757 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,582 answers this week

3,757 attorneys answering