Skip to main content

Consequenses of taking my children under 18 to live in another country while legally married without father consent

Flushing, NY |

father has mental illness

Attorney Answers 1


It would be a very bad idea for you to do that without the father's consent or a court order permitting you to do so. The father could file a writ to have the children returned to the United States, you could be arrested, and the children could be placed with the father. If you go to a country that is a member of the Hague Convention, they are under a duty to do what is necessary to have the children returned to their home country.

If you are serious about moving to another country with the children, do it the right way and save yourself a potentially big problem.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics