Consequences for charge of public intoxication and pleading no contest

Asked over 5 years ago - Fort Worth, TX

I got a Public Intoxication, In Jail when I went to see a Judge, I pleaded No Contest. Will I be able to hire a lawyer to represent me to try and get the charge dismissed, or have I shot myself in the foot?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Paul Holt Walcutt

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Most municipal court judges will allow you to withdraw your plea, but the longer you wait to file this motion (or have a lawyer file this motion on your behalf) the less likely it becomes that you can get this done. Talk to a criminal defense lawyer who does some municipal court work ASAP.

  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You better get an attorney and disclose everything to your attorney ASAP. Perhaps the attorney will still have time to substitute his/her name as your counsel. Your post does not describe anything as regards a timeframe. Anyway, if that works, perhaps your new attorney can make a motion on your behalf to withdraw the plea. If you are before sentencing perhaps you can ask to postpone the sentencing until your new counsel can be there to make the motion to withdraw your no contest plea on your behalf.

    Without a lot more details no further observation is possible.

    Good luck to you.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,360 answers this week

3,118 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,360 answers this week

3,118 attorneys answering