Conflicting employment/Covenant not to compete?

San Francisco, CA |

I am currently employed but I want to know if my current job contract allows me to have another job.

Here is what my contract says:

"Current Obligations

I agree that, during the term of my temporary assignment with the Company, I will not
engage in any other employment, occupation, or consulting directly related to the business in which the Company is
now involved or becomes involved during the term of my temporary assignment, nor will I engage in any other
activities, including, but not limited to, employment outside of the Company, membership on Boards of Directors or
Advisory Boards other than the Company's, personal investments or establishing, maintaining or servicing business
relationships with family or friends that conflict with my obligations to the Company."

You can work another job in your offhours as long as there is no conflict. As an example, if you sell copiers now, you can take a job selling cars. You cannot take a job selling another brand of copiers.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

You can have another job while you work for your current employer so long as it is not related to your employer's business and does not conflict with your obligations to your employer.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business