Conflict of Interest with the company

I am working for a company where i see a potential business opportunity(IT project work) which can contracted to a company. I have the authority to decide to which company i can grant this work to. I know that I cannot start my (or my familes) own company and grant that company the work as it is conflict of interest. Who comes as a family. Does my wife's brother come under family. Can i start it under her name and give the work to her. Do i have to disclose this to my company that it is my brother's wife company?

1. It depends on what your company's policy is. Generally, there is nothing preventing you from giving the work to whomever you want and there is no requirement regarding disclosure either. But this can all be superseded by company policy, so check that first.

2. You cannot ethically do any of the end-arounds re conflict of interest that you are asking about here. All of them will get your fired and potentially more.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

3. Either you are allowed to assign the contract to a family member or you are not. Putting up smoke screens don't change the rules. If you have an employment agreement or company policies, review them very carefully. If you are still unsure, ask whoever is in charge of this issue at your company.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Business topics