Conflict of Interest with the company

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am working for a company where i see a potential business opportunity(IT project work) which can contracted to a company. I have the authority to decide to which company i can grant this work to. I know that I cannot start my (or my familes) own company and grant that company the work as it is conflict of interest. Who comes as a family. Does my wife's brother come under family. Can i start it under her name and give the work to her. Do i have to disclose this to my company that it is my brother's wife company?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot ethically do any of the end-arounds re conflict of interest that you are asking about here. All of them will get your fired and potentially more.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more
  2. Celia R Reed

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Either you are allowed to assign the contract to a family member or you are not. Putting up smoke screens don't change the rules. If you have an employment agreement or company policies, review them very carefully. If you are still unsure, ask whoever is in charge of this issue at your company.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more
  3. Sagar P. Parikh

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It depends on what your company's policy is. Generally, there is nothing preventing you from giving the work to whomever you want and there is no requirement regarding disclosure either. But this can all be superseded by company policy, so check that first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,995 answers this week

3,107 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,995 answers this week

3,107 attorneys answering