Conflict of Interest with the company

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am working for a company where i see a potential business opportunity(IT project work) which can contracted to a company. I have the authority to decide to which company i can grant this work to. I know that I cannot start my (or my familes) own company and grant that company the work as it is conflict of interest. Who comes as a family. Does my wife's brother come under family. Can i start it under her name and give the work to her. Do i have to disclose this to my company that it is my brother's wife company?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . You cannot ethically do any of the end-arounds re conflict of interest that you are asking about here. All of them will get your fired and potentially more.

2. Celia R Reed

3

Answered . Either you are allowed to assign the contract to a family member or you are not. Putting up smoke screens don't change the rules. If you have an employment agreement or company policies, review them very carefully. If you are still unsure, ask whoever is in charge of this issue at your company.

3. Sagar P. Parikh

1

Answered . It depends on what your company's policy is. Generally, there is nothing preventing you from giving the work to whomever you want and there is no requirement regarding disclosure either. But this can all be superseded by company policy, so check that first.