Conflict of Interest? PLEASE help!

Onancock, VA |
Filed under: Divorce

I am filing for divorce. My husband hired a divorce attorney, then after meeting with her and having a separation agreement written up but never executed, opted not to use her, and was given back the balance of his retainer.

May I now use this attorney, or will that be a conflict of interest for her?

1. She cannot represent you after he has met with her or retained her for any proceeding related to divorce.

2. No, that would be a conflict of interest. I'm sure there is more than one family law attorney in your area, even on the Eastern Shore. If you can't find one, you might look across the Bay in Norfolk or Virginia Beach for help.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

3. Ethical constraints keep her from representing you and/or disclosing to you anything about her representation of your former husband.

This comment is provided for informational purposes only, and is not to be considered legal advice and/or the establishment of an attorney/client relationship.