Conflict of interest?

Cartersville, GA |

In 2009 I hired an attorney for divorce proceedings and also asked about the possibility of child custody as my ex-wife had drug and alcohol problems. At this time, all the facts about this person - pretty ugly - and my children were presented to the attorney, as well as information about a person who had sexually abused my son (her boyfriend and drug supplier). Custody remained with the mother, now my children have been removed from her and are in foster care. She has hired the same attorney against me for the court case, again custody, trying to get the children back. WOULD THIS BE CONFLICT OF INTEREST?

If the facts are as you stated, that is such a serious conflict of interest that a lawyer could be suspended or disbarred.

Do two things on Monday: (1) Get a lawyer and discuss whether you lawyer should file a motion to disqualify opposing counsel with the court. (2) Contact the General Counsel of the State Bar of Georgia and request a bar complaint form.

There are some conflicts that are close calls. This one, if you've described it accurately, isn't.

Here is your contact info for the state bar:
Frederick, Paula General Counsel 404-527-8720 .

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

HUGE Conflict of interest -- not waivable. I don't see how that lawyer could represent your ex-wife in this matter, even with your written consent. You NEED to talk to a Georgia lawyer ASAP.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor form an attorney client relationship. I am not your lawyer. If you have a legal issue in Maryland, Virginia, or the District of Columbia, you may contact me for a free consultation.

Oh my yes. One of the clearest I have ever seen.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

Recommended articles about Family law