Confidentiality Agreement

Methuen, MA |

Iam buying a potato chips route from lance chips,and before they will talk to me they want me to sign a confidentiality Agreement ,they will be taken over my old company where I own a route allready.they said sign or they will not talk to me.

These types of agreements are common in business transactions. Whether you will sign the agreement as written, however, will depend on its terms. Many times, the terms of these agreements are negotiated between counsel. You should show it to a lawyer before signing it. I have dealt with many disputes over the years arising from the these types of agreements - most of which could have been avoided if proper terms were negotiated. Then, you should have the lawyer review the actual sale documents and help you conduct the appropriate due diligence before your make the purchase.

Mr. Thomas is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts. This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often, the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply. Mr. Thomas strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney to make sure he or she gets all relevant information to make informed decisions about the subject matter.

2. So what's your question, is it ok to sign? Obviously if you don't, they won't sell you the route. But as far what this document says, which may be a Non-Disclosure Agreement," which is a document used to protect trade secrets like this one presumably is, no one who hasn't reviewed it can evaluate what it says.

Get it, and then hire a lawyer to review it (as well as the sale documents themselves) and negotuate any changes before signing. It's never a good idea to sign something unless you fully understand it and are prepared to honor it.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

3. You need someone to review the proposed Greement. Also, you should have someone review your agreement with your current company.