Confidential informant and witness protection

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

does the federal government have authority to force a confidential informant that helps put together and testify in a large criminal case? what if the confidential informant just wants to move on with their life and not be in the witness protection program?

1. Joshua Sachs

2

Answered . My limited experience is that people are in the witness protection program because they believe they are in great danger outside of it. I have never heard of anybody being compelled to enter the program. If you are having a different experience I suggest you discuss the matter with your attorney. If you do not have an attorney representing you, contact the Federal Defender office in Chicago.

2. Melissa I. Smejkal

1

Answered . No one is required to be in the witness protection program.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . As far as I know, the federal government may legally subpoena a witness in a federal case and, in some cases, treat such witness as hostile.
    Secondly, any participation if the Federal Witness Protection Program is always voluntary, however, the federal officers usually inform applicants of the risks associated with their safety if they decline.
    If you entertain the above questions, it is highly advisable to retain an experienced federal criminal law counsel in Chicago. Such things do not dissipate on their own.