Confidential informant and witness protection

Chicago, IL |

does the federal government have authority to force a confidential informant that helps put together and testify in a large criminal case? what if the confidential informant just wants to move on with their life and not be in the witness protection program?

1. My limited experience is that people are in the witness protection program because they believe they are in great danger outside of it. I have never heard of anybody being compelled to enter the program. If you are having a different experience I suggest you discuss the matter with your attorney. If you do not have an attorney representing you, contact the Federal Defender office in Chicago.

2. No one is required to be in the witness protection program.

3. As far as I know, the federal government may legally subpoena a witness in a federal case and, in some cases, treat such witness as hostile.
    Secondly, any participation if the Federal Witness Protection Program is always voluntary, however, the federal officers usually inform applicants of the risks associated with their safety if they decline.
    If you entertain the above questions, it is highly advisable to retain an experienced federal criminal law counsel in Chicago. Such things do not dissipate on their own.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

Civil rights topics