Condo association asks for criminal background check for a tenant that was the owner? do I have to pay the fee?

my tenant used to be the owner of my apartment.. That means he was screened and all the criminal background checked was done and everything. Later i bought the apartment. the association said my tenant has to be re screened. I am not sure if the association recognized that the former owner is now the tenant, but i am more or less sure they know. My question is : assuming that they don't realize that the tenant is the former owner. when they realize that the tenant is the former owner, do they have a legal ground to ask for a criminal background check screening again? what is my argument in telling them that i don't have to pay for a background check for someone who is not a new tenant or occupant of the unit?

Hollywood, FL -

Barbara Billiot Stage

Barbara Billiot Stage

Residential Real Estate Lawyer - Orlando, FL

They have a right to screen again. Just because the owner was previously approved doesn't mean there hasn't been something since then that would disqualify him/her.

Leonore M. Greller

Leonore M. Greller

Mediation Attorney - Coconut Creek, FL

Attorney Sage is correct. Every time there is a change of any kind, a new background check is requested. This is something you agreed to as part of the HOA.