Conditional Release or Non Conditional Release?

Asked about 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

I want to terminate my realtor. I am asking for a release. Basically, I am paying for his advertising expenses. And I agreed that if I sell to a buyer who he had brought to the property during his representation, he will get his commission.

1. John P Corrigan

6

Answered . Conditional Release because the realtor is only releasing you for sales made to parties that the realtor did not introduce you prior to signing the release -- ergo the "condition."

2. James K. Lyder

5

Answered . Attorney Corrigan is correct, but I would add that the best way to do this is to have an real estate attorney draft the release for you. A broker's commission is a big chunk of money and it's worth a few hundred dollars to get this right up front. I suggest it should be a general release with a carve out for a commission due only if you sell to a buyer the broker brought to you. What I would watch out for is situation arising after the release is signed where the broker sends a potential buyer your way and you sell to him and the broker wants a commission. So, be extremely clear with the carve out language that it only applies to a potential buyer the broker brought to you prior to the release being signed.

3. Peter J Weinman

Pro

2

Answered . what, exactly is your question?