Conditional Release or Non Conditional Release?

Flushing, NY |

I want to terminate my realtor. I am asking for a release. Basically, I am paying for his advertising expenses. And I agreed that if I sell to a buyer who he had brought to the property during his representation, he will get his commission.

Conditional Release because the realtor is only releasing you for sales made to parties that the realtor did not introduce you prior to signing the release -- ergo the "condition."

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

what, exactly is your question?

NOTE: (1) I may be guessing and/or not even licensed in your state; (2) We have not established an attorney-client relationship; (3) Sometimes you get what you pay for; and (4) If you want to send me a gift, my favorite color is orange.

Attorney Corrigan is correct, but I would add that the best way to do this is to have an real estate attorney draft the release for you. A broker's commission is a big chunk of money and it's worth a few hundred dollars to get this right up front. I suggest it should be a general release with a carve out for a commission due only if you sell to a buyer the broker brought to you. What I would watch out for is situation arising after the release is signed where the broker sends a potential buyer your way and you sell to him and the broker wants a commission. So, be extremely clear with the carve out language that it only applies to a potential buyer the broker brought to you prior to the release being signed.

Recommended articles about Real estate