Conditional Green Card expired

Asked over 2 years ago - Dayton, OH

I received an Conditional Green Card through marriage, which obviously has a 2 year expiration date. I filled for the removal of conditional status with the fee-waiver and was denied for the fee-waiver. My wife and I have had finacial difficulty for quite some years, and haven't been able to afford the fee. The question now is I received the card in 2008 and it expired in 2010, and now it is 2012. I haven't received anything from the USCIS during this whole time, and should I still file for the removal of status?

1. Philip Alan Eichorn

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is a chance you've been ordered removed in your absence. When the conditions on permanent residence are not removed, DHS terminates the status of the alien and initiates removal proceedings. It is possible that DHS issued a Notice to Appear and you did not receive it and then the immigration judge ordered you removed in your absence. Hire a lawyer to confirm.

As to the late filing an I-751, there is a method to do such. You will need to show good cause and exceptional circumstances for failure to file timely. Again, hire a lawyer to prepare this filing for you.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

3. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

Answered . You must
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=b978db88d50c9d4... ) ----------------------------------------

4. Alan M Lubiner

Answered . You might be able to file it late. You need to contact an immigration lawyer to help you immediately.

Answers given on this site are general advice only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.