Conditional Green card.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

If a person is on a conditional green card after marrying a U.S.Citizen and somehow before the expiry of the card the marriage ends in a divorce say in 1 year -

Is that person supposed to inform USCIS immediately after the divorce or one can still file the paperwork with divorce documents within 90 day window before the expiry of the conditional green card?

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

4

7

Answered . If you get divorced, now you can file I-751 by yourself, you do it within the time provided by law.

2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

2

Answered . Don't wait! It is best to file as soon as possible, while you have witnesses who remember you and your spouse. If the divorce is final, start working with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, now. It can make a big difference in preserving the evidence that proves that you had a good faith marriage. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Answered . I agree with Alena. Though I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to timely file the I-751. It was extremely serious consequences, especially in case of divorce.

4. Moses Apsan

1

Answered . You do not have to inform USCIS immediately. You can do it anytime before or after the two year period. Understand the when I say "notify" I mean file an I-751 waiver application