Concurrent filing of the Adjustment Package (Form I-130 and I-485)

Asked over 1 year ago - Birmingham, AL

My wife is visiting from Canada (we were married in May, 2012 and have been living apart since), she did not get an I-94 approval because it is not required I am told by USCIS when she entered the country this time. We are now starting the process to get her to the U.S. We are filling out her I-130, I-485 and the other documents such as Affidavit of Support and I-131 as well, to send what they call the "Adjustment Package". USCIS said to go this route because she is in the U.S. currently, but she will be going back home in August. What does she need to do to not get a banned while our packet for her is being processed? Also, does she put her Canadian address or mine on her G-325A? USCIS told her mine for the I-485 since she is here right now. Thank you for any info!

1. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

1

3

Answered . A petition and application may be filed concurrently when there is a visa number immediately available at the time of filing. Concurrent filing is always allowed for all immediate relatives of a United States citizen, since there are no numeric limitations in this category. However, in some categories, even if there is a visa number available at the time of filing, concurrent filing is not allowed as the intending immigrant must have an approved basis of eligibility (i.e. an approved petition) before being allowed to file for adjustment of status. For more information on if you can file concurrently, refer to the instructions on your immigrant petition:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem...

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Answered . Generally speaking after filing the I-130/I-485 package your wife will not be able to return to Canada once the paperwork has been filed. If she leaves the country she is deemed to have abandoned her application and the case will be denied. So if she has to return to Canada in August your best bet is to hold off on filing the paperwork. I would also urge you to consult with an attorney about the I-94 issue.

3. Gen Kimura

Answered . If she leave the U.S. without a valid advanced parole, USCIS will consider that she abandon her AOS application.