Concerning I-864, does unemployment benefits count toward sponsorship of my husband?

Cedar Rapids, IA |

I'm currently a full time student and am applying an adjustment of status for my husband. I'm in the process of filling out the I-864. I'm certain that I don't meet the income requirements and the only joint sponsor I can find doesn't make a lot either. I was wondering if my unemployment benefits count?

In theory, unemployment benefits could be included because you have to report unemployment benefits as income on a federal tax return. The government looks at your federal tax return to determine your income.

No, you really can't rely on unemployment benefits due to the fact that it isn't a 'stable' source of income.

Get a co-sponsor to be safe.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

I would recommend getting a co-sponsor to be safe.

Recommended articles about Immigration