Computer was "detained" by Canadian border authorities over a year ago for investigation. What can/should I do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Burlington, VT

I was crossing the border from the U.S. into Canada over a year ago, and they took me in for further search/questioning without any reason given, and searched my belongings including my personal laptop. They found material that they deemed to be "inappropriate" and even though they admitted they had found nothing illegal, they felt there was a high likelihood that it would contain child porn. They let me go back into the U.S. but kept my computer for further examination. They said they were merely "detaining" it not "seizing" it but I haven't heard anything about it since. I have been too afraid to try to go to Canada since then and would like my property back. Is there anything I can/should do other than just wait? Is it normal for an investigation to take this long?

Thanks for the responses. What type of lawyer should I look for?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . This forum is for US immigration. You need to consult with a Canadian attorney.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Talk to a Canadian lawyer.

3. C. C. Abbott

1

Answered . You need to contact a Canadian lawyer that is within the same province as the one where you were denied entry. You are likely been "red flagged" and need to get to the bottom of the inquiry as if there is a probably cause for the charges for the alleged statements, CIC / RCMP can try to get you extradited to Canada. Good luck.