Comprehensive immigration reform 2013

Fairfax, VA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Will Obama/congress pass it in coming year. My friend is illegal for last 10 years, if he becomes benefited by this, will they let him travel and re-enter. I believe from congressman(Chuck Shummer) site they are going to put all illegal in a 8 year queue to get their status. What happens in those 8 years are they stuck here or they can travel? I believe Regan had similar program what was the outcome that time for travel restriction?

We are all hoping so, but the specifics all depend on the final bill that is passed.

No one can reliably tell you what will be in the final law, how long it will take to pass, or whether it will pass at all. Anyone who is telling you otherwise is likely a fraudster who is looking to take off with your money. If you or your friends have case-specific immigration questions, I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney.

Chad Michael Brandt

Chad Michael Brandt

Tuesday, January 29th 2013, President Obama spoke live to the nation demanding immigration reform. "We do not need congress to pass the dream act, we need congress to act on a comprehensive immigration reform," stated President Obama. The President went so far to say that he will send his own Bill to Congress to enact comprehensive immigration reform if Congress fails to move fast enough.

My crystal ball is broken.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

No one knows if comprehensive immigration reform will pass in 2013 or at any point in the future. Even if there is immigration reform, no one knows what will be included. Immigration reform has been discussed for years, but very little has happened as a result of those discussions.

Your friend may want to discuss his situation with an immigration lawyer to find out what his options may be under the current law. The provisional waiver program should be starting soon, and some people may have other options under the current immigration laws for becoming a permanent resident. Each person's options will depend on their specific facts, and he would need to have an in-depth conversation with an immigration lawyer in order to explore whether he has any options under the current law.

As the other answers have indicated, because no one knows what will be included in immigration reform (or if it will even happen), anyone who promises your friend that they can get him a green card under the "new immigration reform law" or "Obama's immigration reform" are not being honest. Caution your friend against falling for these fraud schemes.

(703) 424-2979. Virginia Immigration Lawyer - Helping Future Americans Become Citizens