Skip to main content

Complex questions about EAD, Green card and H1B.

Troy, AL |

First, may i ask if there's a rule says that people with EAD working permit can work for ANY employer or decide not to work, is that true? If so, can those people work for the military?
Second, can people with EAD change their status to Temporary Green Card holders through employment?
Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Generally, EAD cards are for open market employment, however, the US Government may discriminate against non-citizens and non-residents when it comes to National security-sensitive positions.



so what if i have an uncle who is working for the DoD for 25 years recommend me and i myself have a GPA of 4.0? and can an EAD holder changes to green card? thanks

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


The uncle's recommendation will not trump the federal law. Still ineligible unless you becoming a USC.


is that true?


If so, can those people work for the military?

Second, can people with EAD change their status to Temporary Green Card holders through employment?

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes, completely true.


Can work for military only if military wants to hire you.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Personally, I have noted a troubling recurrent pattern as follows: an overwhelming number of foreign nationals seeking H1B are placing a barrage of very complex questions attempting to complete that elaborate process groping around in the dark, when the very first thing they need to do is retain one competent immigration visa attorney to avoid mistakes, omissions, delays and denials.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer