Completing 5 years on R1 VISA and planing to apply for F1...

Asked over 2 years ago - Mobile, AL

I complete my 5th year (maximum allowed) on R1 in October 2012, and planing to apply for a Student VISA. Can I do it since I have only one month left? What are my other options to stay here longer and study?

1. Answered . Yes you can stay as long as you apply prior to your R1 status expiration date, you can stay in the U.S. until you receive a decision on your change of status application. Did your religious employer file an I-360 petition for you?

2. Answered . Can I do it since I have only one month left?
    Yes

What are my other options to stay here longer and study?

Options depend on facts. You really need to meet one on one with an experienced immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, so that he/she can review all your documents and facts in order to determine what your options are.

3. Answered . Yes, you can apply to change the classification. Talk with the school ISO and make sure you are accorded the proper SEVIS designation depending on the length of the program.
    Pari@parisheth.com; 314-567-2010