Skip to main content

Completing 5 years on R1 VISA and planing to apply for F1...

Mobile, AL |

I complete my 5th year (maximum allowed) on R1 in October 2012, and planing to apply for a Student VISA. Can I do it since I have only one month left? What are my other options to stay here longer and study?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes you can stay as long as you apply prior to your R1 status expiration date, you can stay in the U.S. until you receive a decision on your change of status application. Did your religious employer file an I-360 petition for you?

    DC Metro Immigration Law PLLC, Arlington, VA (202) 470-1004 provides the above for information purposes only and does not construe or intend to provide any legal advise or an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney to discuss your personal circumstances and for legal advice.

  2. Can I do it since I have only one month left?

    What are my other options to stay here longer and study?

    Options depend on facts. You really need to meet one on one with an experienced immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, so that he/she can review all your documents and facts in order to determine what your options are.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. Yes, you can apply to change the classification. Talk with the school ISO and make sure you are accorded the proper SEVIS designation depending on the length of the program.; 314-567-2010

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics