Community service paperwork--did I just commit fraud?

Asked over 1 year ago - Canton, OH

I was recently sentenced to perform fifty hours of community service. The paperwork tracking my hours completed is supposed to be filled out at the end of each workday I perform by the manager on duty. If I fill it out myself, it's considered fraud. Recently, the manager on duty in the Goodwill where my sentence is being fulfilled refused to fill out said paperwork, insisting that it was my responsibility to do so, and that she merely had to sign it. Not realizing that it was fraud for me to do so, I filled in the necessary lines on the sheet, and she signed them. Am I in danger of being prosecuted for fraud? Also, is she in any way liable for it? I'm of the impression that when she told me to do my own paperwork, she knew that it wasn't supposed to be that way.

1. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

Answered . I suggest you stay calm and wait. Everything is most likely going to be okay. It would be fraud if you didn't work the hours or if you forged the signature. The fact that you filled it in and she reviewed and signed it should protect you. I would not worry about it.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio 45434
    (937)510-6110 phone
    (937)867-4111 fax
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

Answered . If you did the work and the Goodwill person approved it, there's no fraud. Fraud occurs in this context when you (anyone else) signs off on work that you did not do and try to trick the court into believing you did the work. No one will care that you prepared the paperwork for someone to sign, provided it is accurate and you actually did the work.