Community service not complete

Asked almost 3 years ago - Pleasantville, NY

Hello I was arrested last year for felony but my lawyer reduced it to a violation and I was ordered to complete 100hrs of community service and pay a 200 dollar fine. I payed the fine and been trying to complete the community service but 100 hours is slot for me as I am a full time student who commutes and I also work. What do you think will happen if I cannot complete 100 hrs? And when I called the clerk she said if I don't reach 100hrs it's ok and to just try to and that I didn't even need a contact number where I volunteered just a letter head from them

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Steven Pollok


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . This is not a big problem in most courts but how you handle it it depends upon where the court is located. In New York City you need to go into the compliance part before your deadline and explain to the clerk that you need more time to finish your hours. They will grant it to you and if they do not give you an extension, you must have your lawyer contact the judge and request more time explaining that the compliance clerk is not granting more time and you are a full time student. In upstate New York call the court and tell them you need more time and they will usually extend it. Most courts are also very flexible as to how much time you need and where you may complete your community service so long as it is with a not-for-profit and you can get confirmation of completion in writing on the company's letterhead.

  2. Richard Francis Sweeney

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You should either complete the 100 hours in the time you were given or talk to your attorney to have the matter brought back to court for an extension of time. Do not rely on the clerk saying "Don't worry about it". When you complete the 100 hours, the organization you do it with should send a letter to the court saying that the 100 hours of community service is complete. If the organization doesn't do that, a warrant could issue for your arrest, and you d be violated, spend up to 15 days in jail.

  3. Richard C. Southard


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It depends on what was told to you by the judge at the time of the plea since it sounds like you got a great deal reducing a felony to a violation. Usually, you can go to court with proof of how many hours that you have completed, explain your circumstances and you will get additional time. If the judge was adamant that the C/S had to be completed by a specific date or X,Y and Z was going to happen, he may be less accomodating and can sentence you up to 15 days jail for violating the terms of your conditional discharge; or any other consequence that the judge warned you of.

    All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any... more
  4. James Hal Medows

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Never ever rely on a clerk. Each case is unique. Ultimately, you are the one who be spending time in jail if you do not own up to your promise to the court-therefore take responsibility and do not assume anything.

    My advice is for you to do as much community service as you can and ask the judge for more time. As long as you show a good faith effort, the court should grant you an extension. However, if you are granted an extension and do not keep your word again bring a toothbrush when the judge remands you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,872 answers this week

3,269 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,872 answers this week

3,269 attorneys answering