Committed 155.40 fc (grand larceny-1st c felony) also an immigrant. what are the chances of deportation?

Freeport, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Also this is his first offense and he has been in the us for 9 yrs. Are there any chances of avoiding deportation? what should i do?

This is a removable offense. Better schedule a consultation with an experience immigration attorney.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I completely agree with attorney Shusterman. He had better contact an immigration attorney immediately. Grand Larceny is both a ground of removal and a ground of inadmissibility.

No information contained in this message, unless expressly denoted therefor, is intended to establish any attorney client relationship. No attorney-client relationship exists between us (Peter Acker and his associates and you) unless a written retainer or fee agreement has been signed and issued to you.

Though it would be important to consult with an immigration attorney, immigration consequences are collateral to the direct consequences of a conviction of this offense. The first thing he needs to do is retain a good criminal defense attorney. Deportation or not you want to be able to stay out of jail if possible. Depending on the facts and circumstances there are a variety of ways an attorney can approach this matter and try to minimize the possibility of deportation. If convicted it is certainly considered a crime of moral turpitude that can have him deported but he would have to be convicted first. Again, he should get a lawyer as soon as possible so that he can be properly guided and represented.

Peter Hills Acker

Peter Hills Acker

Agreed, but the immigration repercussions of the case strategy require careful consideration. His criminal defense attorney should be careful to speak with an immigration attorney. Also he may not be released from jail if he has an ICE detainer on him.

A conviction on this charge could certainly lead to removal proceedings. You must consult quickly with a criminal defense attorney to see what your options are. You should also be speaking with an immigration expert to see what dispositions other than a dismissal could leave you in a safe position.

I have been a criminal defense attorney in New York for over 20 years. Feel free to view my website at or contact me either by phone at 718-208-6094 or via email at This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.