Committed 155.40 fc (grand larceny-1st c felony) also an immigrant. what are the chances of deportation?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Freeport, NY

Also this is his first offense and he has been in the us for 9 yrs. Are there any chances of avoiding deportation? what should i do?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . This is a removable offense. Better schedule a consultation with an experience immigration attorney.

Please see

2. Benjamin J Lieberman

4

Answered . Though it would be important to consult with an immigration attorney, immigration consequences are collateral to the direct consequences of a conviction of this offense. The first thing he needs to do is retain a good criminal defense attorney. Deportation or not you want to be able to stay out of jail if possible. Depending on the facts and circumstances there are a variety of ways an attorney can approach this matter and try to minimize the possibility of deportation. If convicted it is certainly considered a crime of moral turpitude that can have him deported but he would have to be convicted first. Again, he should get a lawyer as soon as possible so that he can be properly guided and represented.

3. Howard A. Schwartz

3

Answered . A conviction on this charge could certainly lead to removal proceedings. You must consult quickly with a criminal defense attorney to see what your options are. You should also be speaking with an immigration expert to see what dispositions other than a dismissal could leave you in a safe position.

4. Peter Hills Acker

2

Answered . I completely agree with attorney Shusterman. He had better contact an immigration attorney immediately. Grand Larceny is both a ground of removal and a ground of inadmissibility.