Commerical Lease. Being evicted after the new landlord wants to change the terms

Asked about 4 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have an oral lease for a retail store in Los Angeles. The owner sold the building to someone else. The new owner kicked me out with no notice and demanded that I pay a new deposit, rent and sign a new lease. I just paid rent two weeks ago, but he wants me to pay rent again

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Frances Miller Campbell

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . The new owner cannot kick you out with no notice. He has to post a notice stating the cause for the eviction, and then file an unlawful detainer action. Because this landlord seems very unstable, I would take this opportunity to look for a new business location where you can sign a lease with someone normal.

  2. Cameron Royal Kelly

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Sounds like there is a problem between your past and current landlords. If you have already put down a depoit and paid rent for this month, your landlord cannot make you pay for them again. However, if you have a month to month lease, that relief will be temporary. Although you should still have credit for the deposit you have paid, your landlord can ask for an increased deposit with proper notice. The landlord can also increase the rent amount or simply give you notice to vacate the premises. If the lease is month to month, your landlord will need to give you a full calendar months notice to leave the property.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Minnesota. Responses are based solely on Minnesota law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,827 answers this week

3,191 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,827 answers this week

3,191 attorneys answering