Skip to main content

Commercial space gatherings license?

Long Island City, NY |

I am a member of a motorcycle club. We do not do any business activities and do not sell anything. Our members pay monthly membership dues to the club, which we use to purchase supplies when we have a function. We participate in motorcycle rides with other clubs to raise donations for charities, such as a toy run, or when a member or member's family has an accident or need. We are completely not for profit. We want to rent a commercial property that is zoned "Commercial B2", which according to the zoning ordinance is allowed to be occupied by a "club" under instituional uses. We meet all criteria in the zoning ordinace definition of a club. The purpose of the commercial property will be to have a weekly club meeting and for motorcycle gatherings

Attorney Answers 2


Dear Club Member:

The Club should engage an attorney to perform the due diligence necessary to place the Club into a position to negotiate a lease for the commercial property.

Good luck.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


It sounds like your club should be able to occupy the space. You should locate an attorney who is familiar with commercial leases and hae him desal with the details. You should be able to negotiate the terms with the landlord before you need to engage the attorney but you might still want an attorney to handle all aspects of the lease and have him satisfy himself and the landlord of the "club" status and waht that means under the zoning laws.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics