Colorado. Where do I find the section of the law that makes exception for serious financial exploitation during the marriage?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

Spouse kept all money to himself. No contribution to any joint iving expenses and took money for his separate use.

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . I don't think there is a statute. I think what you are referring to is the principle that a spouse can be held accountable in a dissolution of marriage proceeding for marital waste. That is driven by case law in Colorado.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

5

1

Answered . I am not sure what you are referencing to as far as a statute that says that the parties are obligated to contribute jointly towards the relationship. There is no such law. Is such fair and equitable, as well as expected? Yes. But, there is no specific duty to do so. If he did not contribute financially to the marriage and used it for his separate use, that will be taken into consideration by the judge in the division of assets and debts in the divorce proceedings.

3. Justin Steele Ross

Pro

3

1

Answered . There is no such statute. You can argue contribution/waste in certain circumstances but, as the previous answer indicated, this is case law driven. These are very complex concepts in the context of Colorado domestic relations law; as the general law is no fault with equitable property/debt disbursement.

4. David Littman

Pro

2

Answered . If the marriage has been this unbalanced, you really need to retain counsel to represent you.