Skip to main content

College won't let me pay in state tuition when I've lived in state my whole life.

Dallas, TX |

The school wants to verify Texas residents by paycheck, recent high school, or fall or spring resident tuition from another school.
Now I am at another college right now paying in state resident fees though I didn't attend in the spring, just fall 2011 and summer 2012. I don't have a job though my boyfriend works full time and supports me going to school. I did have a job last year and the years before so all my tax forms are for Texas. Can the school still make me pay out of state tuition when I have plenty of evidence that I have lived in Texas my whole life? Many students, jobless ones who have been out of school for a few years are very irate about this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The college can make you pay whatever it thinks is due.

You have a right to appeal their determination and ought to avail your self of this administrative procedure. Be sure to include copies of all documents supporting your residency, including but not limited to taxes, utility bills, drivers licences, health club membership, etc. . . Try getting a letter of employment from your last employer verifying the dates of employment, as well.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer