College student needs help!!

Athens, TN |
Filed under: Education law

I'm a college student who also works In retail. During the summer, I was getting anywhere from 25 to 30 hours a week. when I turned in my class schedule to my boss, it was apparent that he was annoyed and made snippy comments about how he hopes he could work with my schedule. now keep in mind that my class schedule still allows for me to work 20-25 hours per week. he cut my hours down To 8. I have reason to believe that he is doing this just because he's annoyed that I'm going back to school. is ThIs illegal? in my eyes, it is almost like discriminating someone because of their race or gender. please help!

While its a jerkish move, its sadly not illegal. Tennessee is an at will employment state which basically means you can be fired for good cause, bad cause or no cause at all. So long as you are not within a protected class of people (students are not by the way) he can cut your hours or fire you. Likewise you have the right to quit anytime you would like. Sorry you are in this spot. Good luck with your school.

Not illegal.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE CAN THANK ATTORNEY MEMMEN BY MARKING IT “BEST ANSWER” or “HELPFUL.” Mr Memmen is donating his time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. THIS IS NOT A CONSULTATION and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. Alexander Memmen recommends that you always consult – in person – with a local attorney before taking any action.

Mr. Clark is correct. You are not in a protected class.

Look for a different job, preferably one without a jerk as a boss.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Thank you. This response may provide information relating to potential legal issues. Nevertheless, your review of any information contained herein is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified legal counsel. For this reason, you should not rely on this response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this information does not create any attorney-client agreement. In order to become a client of David C. Lee, you must negotiate a specific attorney–client agreement with an attorney from this law office.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law