Collection - How to effectively collect the overpayment from doctor’s office?

Asked about 3 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I did not know I had overpaid the doctor’s office until received a statement from my health insurance provider. But, the doctor office refused to refund. How to effectively get my overpayment back? Thank you for your answer.

Additional information

The insurance also has notified the doctor office to reimburse the patient.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Daniel Dwight Bowen

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I would write a very nice letter explaining how the overpayment occurred and requesting a refund. I would send the letter certified and keep a copy. If a refund is not forthcoming you might check with the insurance company and ask for their help. A further step would be the governor's office of consumer affairs. They may or may not have jurisdiction over doctors. As a last resort you could consider an action in small claims court. Call the small claims court to get information on which county to sue in. If Doctor not incorporated must be in the county he resides in.

    The answer given is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.
  2. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Write the doctor's office a firm but polite letter. If they refuse, file a case in Magistrates Court against the doctor.

  3. Scott Thomas Bushnell

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . If they haven't responded by now they probably won't. I'd go ahead and file suit in magistrate court.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,144 answers this week

3,408 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,144 answers this week

3,408 attorneys answering