Collecting Money from a Friends Homeowners Insurance

Albany, OR |

I recently broke my neck at a friends house. I broke my neck in their pool and am now paying a fairly large medical bill. I don't have any bad side effects from the accident anymore. I recently had someone tell me I should be able to get their homeowners insurance to pay for most, or all of the bill. Is that possible?

It may be possible. A homeowners' insurance policy generally pays for medical bills for treating a guest injured on the property. It also protects a homeowner against the costs of litigation and requires the insurance company to defend a lawsuit brought against the homeowner by an injured guest. The specific coverage available depends on the individual policy.

The circumstances of the injury are not described in your question. An insurer will likely want to know whether it occurred as the result of an intentional act, such as playing in the pool. If so, the insurer may deny coverage. An insurer may also be unwilling to pay for lost wages or other damages caused by a guest's injury. A personal injury lawyer can assist in seeking full compensation for harm due to a homeowner's negligence or wrongful conduct.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice.

You should see an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You will likely be ble to get your medical bills paid for from one common (no-fault) provision of homeowners coverage. Compensation beyond that depends if negligence was involved by the homeowner. This can be assessed in consultation with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits to file a lawsuit for this type of injury.

Mark Kramer
Kramer & Associates
503.243.2733
mark@kramer-associates.com
www.kramer-associates.com
www.portlanddivorceatty.com

Mark Kramer
Kramer & Associates
503.243.2733
mark@kramer-associates.com
www.kramer-associates.com
www.portlanddivorceatty.com

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury