Collecting from a judgment

Asked over 1 year ago - Monroe, NY

I received a default judgment against somebody in the amount of $15,000 what can I do with it and how can I collect it?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . Do you know where the person banks? If yes, go to court and get an information subpoena and restraining notice (there are other needed forms). You might want to let a sheriff or marshall or collections attorney try to collect.

2. Rory M. Alarcon

Answered . There are many options, but in general the more information you have on your debtor, the better. There are wage garnishments, bank seizures, and other devices, but they are difficult to do properly without knowing the procedure to collect.

3. Kevin C Mallon

Answered . If you know where they work you can contact a local Marshall or Sheriff and have them send the debtor notice of a wage garnishment of up to 10% of their salary.