Collecting from a judgment

Asked over 1 year ago - Monroe, NY

I received a default judgment against somebody in the amount of $15,000 what can I do with it and how can I collect it?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Do you know where the person banks? If yes, go to court and get an information subpoena and restraining notice (there are other needed forms). You might want to let a sheriff or marshall or collections attorney try to collect.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  2. Rory M. Alarcon

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . There are many options, but in general the more information you have on your debtor, the better. There are wage garnishments, bank seizures, and other devices, but they are difficult to do properly without knowing the procedure to collect.

    Rory Alarcon, Esq., is a New York attorney practicing the areas of Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Foreclosure... more
  3. Kevin C Mallon

    Contributor Level 2

    Answered . If you know where they work you can contact a local Marshall or Sheriff and have them send the debtor notice of a wage garnishment of up to 10% of their salary.

Related Topics


A lien gives a creditor certain rights to a debtor's property in order to ensure payment of a debt. Liens can be either voluntary or involuntary.

Howard Robert Roitman

Medicare Liens

Federal law generally prohibits Medicare from paying for any item or service where payment can reasonably be expected from another "primary" source within 120 days.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,295 answers this week

2,951 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,295 answers this week

2,951 attorneys answering