Collect child support from another state?

My ex-husband owes me back child support for our daughter and never sends any money, which I very much need, and now he lives in another state (Oregon). How can I make him pay me? Should I talk with Washington state courts or with Oregon state courts to enforce child support? Thanks!

Tacoma, WA -

Attorney Answers (1)

Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Family Law Attorney - Renton, WA

The Division of Child Support will collect the child support for you. There may be an annual fee of $25.

More information is at .

The state governments work with each other to collect child support. So, if the father works for any legitimate employer, child support will be taken from his paycheck.

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Featured Legal Guide

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.