Collaboration is taking much longer to start than expected? Can I buy a house and move out during this process?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dayton, OH

There are weeks and weeks between meetings. My kids are suffering as well as all involved. I found a house I want to buy and can afford it on my own. Can i move forward with this purchase? If so, what do i need to do? I have an inheritance I can use to pay for part of the house.. I will not be able to stay in current house. I want to move on this now before interest rates go up and found a house.

1. David Jay Sternberg

1

Answered . I would not do anything without first talking to my lawyer. Since you are buying the house with inheritance which is non-marital property, there should be no problems. But to be on the safe side consult with your attorney or hire an attorney.

2. Donna G Heller

2

Answered . Definitely discuss this with your attorney before doing anything, not just the house issue, but also the issue about the process taking much longer than expected. He or she likely will counsel you about the pros and cons and also they can elicit the other side's position. There may be land mines that you are not contemplating.