Coll. agency won't accept my money for my student loan. Going to legally threaten my cosigner. What can I do?

Asked almost 3 years ago - San Diego, CA

I have a student loan approx 20K. Haven't found a decent job since I left school. I'm now waitressing @ a South of the Border restaurant. Ends don't meet. I have defaulted on my student loan and they now want to go after my co-signer. To prevent this, I offered to pay $25-35 / mo., but they won't accept any money from me outside of $14000. I was told they know I don't have it, but they know they can get it from my co-signer. They may get payments, but not $14000 lump sum. They now want a 3-way with my co-signer. I dread this and don't want it. What can I do?

1. John Addison Vos

2

Answered . They can do that. Co-signing means "I agree to pay the loan". Your offer is practical, but legally does not prevent them from going after your co-signer. As others point out, there are several programs which it sounds like you should investigate to reduce payments/work-out the loan payment default. Best of luck to you. And, you should speak with your co-signer before they do, so you and the co-signer are on the same page. There is no law mandating a 3-way conversation; you and the co-signer need to discuss and agree what to do. A 1/2 minute consultation with a local lawyer might shed more light on your options, rights, and strategies.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

Answered . If it is a government insured student loan, you may wish to see if there are any programs available to assist you due to your reduced income & financial circumstances. I am posting a link to the info site below.

If you have a private student loan or cannot make a deal on the federal student loan, you may wish to consider whether you could manage repayment of the debt better through a chapter 13 bankruptcy program.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Marc Gregory Wagman

2

Answered . Government loans you should go on the income contingent plans that they offer. Likely this loan is private and they can go after the co-signer if the loan is in default. You could file a Chapter 13 and it will protect the co-signer as long as they don't modify the automatic stay to go after the co-signer which I have never seen in 8 years of bankruptcy practice.

4. Kevin V.K. Crick

Pro

Answered . Hi, it sounds to me like they may have violated some of your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You have a right to dispute the alleged debt, which I believe they possibly may have overshadowed. Please feel free to give my office a call as soon as possible next week and I can try to put you in touch with a local attorney in your state who hopefully, as many do, would take your case on contingency. I think that they are being completely unreasonable with your good faith efforts to resolve the situation.