Cohabitation rights after five years support.

Asked about 1 year ago - Denver, CO

We were together six years, after one year he asked me to find us a home. He lived out of state. He purchased the home, I moved in & he supported me while I was a
student. We were committed, he bought me a ring last year and everyone including our families and colleagues accepted us as a united couple. He traveled
for his job and was home on the weekends. He decided he no longer wanted the commitment. He owns the house and plans to sell it. I have no income, I need to move and start over.
What recourse do I have, if any?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You really need to sit down with a local attorney in order to see if the two of you are actually "common law" married and will need to go through a divorce. If you were considered married, everything changes and you would have an interest in the house and appreciation in the value of items that were purchased during the course of the marriage. Best wishes

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  2. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have no rights as a member of a "united couple". That has no legal meaning. You are not on title to the property and he made all the payments. Therefore, you have no rights as a landowner. You only have rights to the property and to support if you were actually part of a "MARRIAGE".

    IF your families and colleagues understood that you were his "WIFE" then you may have rights as his spouse. In that case, you may be entitled to a division of the increase in value of the property during the common-law marriage. You might be entitled to spousal support for some period of time and division of other property acquired during the marriage.

    It is not clear whether you and he ever lived in the same house. If you did not ever live in the same house, then you cannot create a common-law marriage. However, there is no minimum period of cohabitation to establish marriage.

    You may want to hire an attorney and determine whether you have enough evidence of marriage to file for divorce.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,156 answers this week

3,148 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,156 answers this week

3,148 attorneys answering