Cohabitation and alimony reduction/termination

Asked almost 4 years ago - Clementon, NJ

Divorced 12 years. My ex-wife is living with her fiancee and renovating his home which her name is now on deed. Can I reduce or terminate my alimony? They have been living together for over a year.

1. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

1

Answered . You can file a motion based upon cohabitation which would not automatically lead to a termination of alimony if proven.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

2. Aniello David Cerreto

Pro

1

Answered . Dear Clementon,

Yes you can. But hire competent counsel. The amount of your relief is absolutely "not" a slam dunk. The law requires many factors, procedural steps, and discovery to be completed before a final determination can be made. Chances are you will hurt your case if you simply file and go in and say judge me ex is cohabitating. Whats worse is if the result is not good and an order becomes entered and then you decide to get serious and hire counsel (who along with the judge will now be legally bound by that order) your chances of correcting or undoing it are not good. So be smart, hire the lawyer. If your paying alimony, penny wise equals dollar foolish. Please see my profile and call me, I would be happy to help and I am reasonably priced.

Regards,
    Aniello D. Cerreto, Esq.