Code violations result in house burning

Aliso Viejo, CA |

Two nights ago There was a fire that destroyed 4 condos. The fire started in my neighbors gas fireplace. The fire department gave me a copy of the letter that was sent 4 years ago notifying the board that the fireplaces weren't up to code and a fire threat. The board ignored the letter but the city did not follow up on whether the problem was corrected. The day after the fire the city came and red tagged each fireplace. What are my legal rights?

What are your legal rights? That depends on your relationship to the HOA. Was your condo destroyed, are or were a board member, do you have homeowners insurance, etc. Your status is unclear from your question.

I suggest this issue is too complicated for an answer here on Avvo. You would be well served to consult legal counsel in your area where all issues can be fully explored. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

There are a lot of legal issues here. If your condo was damaged, you may have the right to assert a claim against the HOA. Cities usually do not have any liability for not following up on code violations.
You should at the very least submit a claim to your insurance company and to the HOA's insurance company.
You may also want to consult with a local attorney.