Code enforcement - Who should I seek to assist with code violations ignored/not enforced by the town?

Asked 11 months ago - Smyrna, TN

My back yard runs into a small industrial factory and they have recently erected a sign on the corner of their lot which shines into and onto my property. Per the code handbook a sign cannot reflect onto or into a residential property. There is nothing that states information on foot candles or measurement for industrial. The city advises the light can be 1 foot candle or lower at my property line which is not stated in the enforcement. The light shines on my yard and in all windows in my house. I have not measured the light but the city says it's less than 1 ft candle which is permitted. (I cannot see how that is the case when it lights up my home but...) I feel this has also violated my privacy and reduced my property value. What steps should I or could I take next?

1. Kelvin P. Green

Answered . The city, the city planning dept, the city council, the code enforcement division... Stop by City Hall and talk...

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Even a Las Vegas sign that is bright, shines. ! ft candle is a very minimal amount. If you want to prove the code is exceeded hire an expert to do the measurement. If you prove the code is not being followed then you can convince the authorities to enforce it.

Overspill is easily corrected

3. Golnar Sargeant

Answered . You can not force them to enforce their codes. It is within their purview and discretion entirely. There is strength in numbers, so if you can rally other neighbors to put pressure on city hall, it will help. You should consult a local land use attorney. Use the "find a lawyer" tool on AVVO, and your local bar association is a good referral source too.