CoC offers NJP because poor evidence/quick/inexpense. SM demands C-M. Must CoC oblige, or can CoC do GOMOR+14-12c instead?

Washington, DC |
Filed under: Military law

Straightforward. Just curious if their lazy work-around is common/legal.

1. Yes.
    If a SM declines Art. 15 the commander options are: court-martial, GOMR (and) commencement of elimination proceedings, or do counseling and adverse performance report ant nothing else. There are other administrative actions that might be involved - flagging, removal of security clearance.
    How quickly and how effectively this works depends on rank, unit, charges, and evidence.
    Sometimes if the work is lazy then there can be successful challenges to administrative actions.

mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. It is both common and legal.

3. Common and legal.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

4. CoC can proceed with adverse information. If a Servicemember demands a court-martial, the convening authority has 2 options 1) prefer charges or 2) drop NJP. Here the convening authority chose option 2, and decided to come back with adverse information + chapter (not OTH). This can be challenged by 1) effectively rebutting the GOMOR, 2) submitting request not to chapter, 3) filing an Art 138 complaint against the convening authority, and 4) depending on the evidence - contacting board for correction of military records to let them know that the GOMOR is baseless. It all depends what the Servicemember wants to do 1) continue to serve or 2) get out.

This information is intended for public use only, it does not form an attorney-client relationship and it does not constitute legal advice. If you seek legal advice on military law issues, contact an military law attorney. My contact information is novalegalservices@live.com or 804-955-9867.

Military law topics