Skip to main content


Denver, CO |
Filed under: Immigration

I know the main sponsor needs an income...but what about if he only have the co-sponsors? He needs an income but if he does not have one, then he can't sponsor the immigrant? Is a young couple... 19 and they're going to study.

The USC is sponsoring his wife since he is only 19...he was studying, he finished high school, start working like one month, and that's it...he's looking for a job but is not easy and he and his wife want to start college...SO, because of all that, he DOES NOT have an I said before...I know he needs an income...but what does he need to do if he doesn't have one? He may get the co-sponsor(me his mom) and that's it? Some of you say as long as you have the co-sponsor there's no problem, others that you need an income....or assets...they are young, so they don't have assets... so, my question is, having a co-sponsor fix the problem of no income or not? I can take care of them, I meet the income requirement, and I want them to study more than to be working right now...Thank you, and I hope you can answer question as soon as you can, and I hope to understand.

Attorney Answers 1


If the petitoning sponsor (e.g., the USC spouse) does not make a sufficient income or doesn't have sufficient assets, then the problem can be resolved by having a co-sponsor or joint sponsor 'step in the shoes" of the petitioning sponsor. A joint sponsor must be 18 and a legal permanent resident or a US citizen and must be domiciled (residing in the US). The joint sponsor's income is based on his/her "household size." This includes generally spouse, children under 18 and any other dependents on last tax return. You can find the threshold income he/she is supposed to make for that size household on Form I-864P ( - go to forms section).
The petitioning sponsor must still execute an I-864 and show most recent tax return/W2/1099, even though do not make enough income. If did not file a tax return, must explain in a letter why not required to file a tax return.

Please note that the immigrant spouse, if making legal income, can file an I-864A and his/her money can be counted in the petitioning sponsor's "pot" to make the income requirement. If obtained income illegally, then cannot count.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics